Click to listen

Online rent

is currently unavailable for essential maintenance

Where to go if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness

Speak to your local housing officer in confidence if you find that you:

  • have nowhere to stay
  • temporarily live with family or friends
  • may be losing your home
  • can't stay in your own home

Contact any of our housing offices during open hours. If the offices are closed, phone our emergency number.

When you contact us we'll offer you:

  • a private interview with a housing officer (this can be a same sex officer if you wish)
  • temporary housing if you need it
  • an interpreter or sign language if required

We will try to see you on the same day that you contact us, or offer you temporary housing and arrange an interview for the next working day.  At all times, we will offer you an interview within three working days. You can bring a friend, relative or adviser with you to this interview.   

What happens at your interview with us?

We will ask for more information about your circumstances - the more information we have the easier it will be to help you. We will decide if you:

  • are homeless or threatened with homelessness in the next two months
  • have deliberately caused your homelessness (excludes where you are at risk of abuse, cannot afford the property or were evicted from a hostel or temporary accommodation) 
  • have a connection with South Lanarkshire (where you work, live or have family in the area or are escaping domestic abuse from another area)

Remember to let us know if your circumstances change in any way. 

Temporary housing

The housing officer can arrange temporary accommodation if needed in:

  • furnished flats/houses
  • supported accommodation
  • rooms with shared facilities
  • bed and breakfast

What happens after your interview?

We will write to you within 28 days with our decision regarding your application, or to tell you that we haven't yet been able to make a decision. You will still have the right to temporary housing if you need it while you are waiting and until we can:

  • give you help and advice to find somewhere else
  • offer you settled accommodation (we cannot guarantee this will be in the area you prefer)

If we can't offer you settled accommodation, we'll explain why. You have the right to appeal this decision.

What if you don't agree with our decision?

If you think our decision is wrong, you will have 21 days from the date of your decision letter to appeal this. An appeals information leaflet will be sent to you with your decision letter.

You still have the right to temporary housing if you need it until a decision is made on your appeal.

What if you're not happy with the service you receive?

If you're not happy with our services, please let us know - your complaint will be dealt with in the strictest confidence. Click on this link for details or our complaints procedures. Contact the Care Inspectorate if you are unhappy with your support service. 

Where else can you get advice?

For independent advice on housing rights and options, contact Citizens Advice Bureau or Shelter. Our support workers can also assist or direct you to other services for help. 



Homelessness services (out of hours/emergency)

Phone: 0800 24 20 24

Local housing office

Phone: 0303 123 1012