Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

General privacy notice

Food business registration application

What we need

South Lanarkshire Council and Food Standards Scotland (FSS) are Joint Data Controllers of the personal information you provide to us on this form. The information we collect about you includes name, postal address, email address and phone number.

Why we need it

  • As Joint Data Controllers, we need to collect this information for the purposes of Food Law Enforcement.
  • Regulation (EU) 2017/625 on Official Controls performed to ensure the verification of compliance with Food Law, requires that South Lanarkshire Council and FSS coordinate effectively in the field of Environmental and Health protection, carrying out their activities with a high level of transparency, making relevant information available to the public as soon as possible.
  • Each Local Authority is required to maintain an up-to-date list of registered Food Business Establishments in its area and divulge this information for the purposes of ensuring public health and the effective enforcement of Food Law. 
  • The Food (Scotland) Act 2015 enables FSS to set performance standards, report on enforcement action by others and require relevant information from South Lanarkshire Council.
  • The Official Feed and Food Controls (Scotland) Regulations 2009, allows the exchange and provision of information by FSS and South Lanarkshire Council for the execution and enforcement of relevant Food Law, and makes provision for South Lanarkshire Council to provide FSS with Food Business information.
  • FSS maintains a national database that can be accessed by both Food Standards Scotland and the Local Authority to which the information pertains. The reporting toolset allows information to be strategically analysed, allowing both organisations to adhere to the principles of the Scottish Regulators’ Strategic Code of Practice.
  • We will only collect the data that we need as required by the above regulations and legislations, and will not collect any personal information from you that we do not need.

What we do with it

The information on this form will be retained by South Lanarkshire Council and FSS for the duration of your business registration. Additionally, if your business closes, or your registration details are otherwise amended then this information will continue to be retained for a maximum of six years following notification of the closure or the amendment of your registration details.

The information collected on your business relating to Food Law enforcement activity will be retained by South Lanarkshire Council for a maximum of six years for Freedom of Information purposes. Food Standards Scotland collects food business information from South Lanarkshire Council on a regular basis for the purposes of Food Law Enforcement. The same information will be retained by FSS for a maximum of 6 years, also for Freedom of Information purposes and the monitoring of enforcement action by Local Authorities.

We will place certain information from your application onto a public register as required by the Interventions Food Law Code of Practice (Scotland). The register is publicly available to view.

Once registered your business details, including the trading name, address and business compliance status will be uploaded to the Food Hygiene Information Scheme database, which is published on FSS’s website.

What we may also be required to do with it

The information may be shared with other Regulators in line with the principles of the Scottish Regulators’ Strategic Code of Practice for compliance and risk mitigation purposes. This is limited to circumstances where the law allows such sharing of information by regulators with common interests or activities.

Your information will only be processed when it is lawful to do so.

What are your rights?

You have the right to ask us to

  • confirm that we are using personal information about you, detail what that information, to whom we have disclosed your information and a copy of the information that we have about you (The right of access)
  • correct any incorrect or misleading personal information that we have about you (The right to rectification)
  • stop using any or all of your personal information (The right to object)
  • to delete or destroy your personal information (The right to erasure) and 
  • stop using your personal information until we can look into correcting your personal information or our justification for using your personal information or to stop us deleting your personal data where you need it in connection with any legal claims (the right of restriction)
  • pass your personal information to someone else under certain circumstances (the right to data portability)

For more information on your rights and how to exercise them or for information about how we manage your personal information, please contact the Data Protection Officer (details are below); and

If you have any queries or are unhappy about the way that we use your personal information or have responded to you in relation to any of your rights, you can contact the council’s Data Protection Officer.

For more information on how we use and handle your information and rights and how to exercise them or how to make a complaint, you can ask for a copy of the council’s explanation from our Data Protection Officer by emailing or see our general privacy notice.

Data Protection Officer

Administrative and Legal Services,
Finance and Corporate Resources,
Council Offices,
Almada Street,
Phone: 0303 123 1015


The Information Commissioner

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner about the way we have handled your rights, to enquire about any exercise of those rights or to complain about the way that the council has dealt with your rights (or any other aspect of data protection law).

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Phone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number.

Related content

  1. General privacy notice
  2. Adult and older people's services
  3. Anti-social behaviour
  4. Council employees bank mandate
  5. Blue Badges
  6. Bulk uplifts
  7. Business property enquiry
  8. Carer support
  9. Civica eStore
  10. Clothing grants/free school meals
  11. Comments and complaints
  12. Council invoices
  13. Crisis/Community Care Grants
  14. Customer Services
  15. Education Maintenance Allowance
  16. Equipment and adaptations
  17. Housing allocations
  18. Fostering and adoption
  19. Non-domestic rates
  20. Pass Plus
  21. Photography and filming permission
  22. Pupil registration and enrolment
  23. Recruitment criminal convictions check
  24. Recruitment health check
  25. School placing requests
  26. School transport
  27. SLLC employee bank mandate
  28. SLLC recruitment criminal convictions check
  29. SLLC recruitment health checks
  30. Social Work assessment
  31. Unpaid work
  32. Waste Services
  33. Council Tax/Council Tax reduction
  34. Housing benefit/Discretionary Housing Payments
  35. Non-Domestic rates
  36. Factoring and buildings insurance
  37. Change of details agent/landlord/solicitor/owner
  38. Council tenant change of name
  39. Common repairs
  40. HomeImprove
  41. Third party insurance claims
  42. Land and property
  43. Online rent account
  44. Tenant participation
  45. Permission to alter or sublet council property/operate a business
  46. Rent/factoring/lock-up Direct Debit
  47. Care of Gardens
  48. Bereavement Services
  49. Excellence in customer services
  50. Landlord forum
  51. Coronavirus Business Support Fund
  52. School hub application
  53. Planning pre-application enquiry
  54. Self-employed Hardship Fund
  55. Modern Apprenticeship Quarterly Review
  56. Coronavirus Business Support Fund - Tenant/Occupier Grant Fund
  57. Bed and Breakfast and Small Serviced Accommodation Provider Hardship Fund
  58. Early years exemption
  59. Debt/benefit advice enquiry
  60. Small Business Support Grant
  61. Town Centre Small Business PPE Grant
  62. Covid-19 business restrictions funds
  63. Kickstart Scheme
  64. Scottish Welfare fund
  65. Entering/leaving council facilities
  66. School registration
  67. Taxi and Private Hire Driver and Operator Support Fund
  68. Early Learning and Childcare application
  69. Access to free sanitary provision
  70. Annual HAVS Health Assessment Questionnaire
  71. Covid-19 Discretionary Fund
  72. Small Accommodation Providers paying Council Tax Fund
  73. UK Community Renewal Fund
  74. Community clean-up support
  75. Instrumental music tuition
  76. Community wellbeing helpline
  77. Scottish Milk and Healthy Snack Scheme
  78. Low Income Pandemic Payment
  79. Housing repairs
  80. Planning enforcement
  81. Supported Care enquiry
  82. Climate Emergency and Resilience Grant
  83. Food Strategy Fund Grant
  84. Allotments
  85. Road and skip permits
  86. Book a visit to Carluke waste and recycling centre
  87. Employees
  88. Criminal convictions - election polling staff
  89. Lived Experience Fund
  90. East Kilbride 75th anniversary grant application
  91. Platinum Jubilee Awards nomination
  92. Planning enquiries
  93. South Lanarkshire Works customer and employer enquiry
  94. Ideas letterbox
  95. South Lanarkshire heat project
  96. Money Matters Advice Service
  97. Building warrant search/copy documentation
  98. Bank/building society mandate for SLC salary payments
  99. Planning application search/copy of documentation
  100. Food business registration application
  101. Cost of living additional supports and Warm Welcome initiative community grants
  102. National Entitlement Card (NEC) privacy statement
  103. Building Standards enquiries
  104. Parking enquiry
  105. Wheeled bin and refuse sack assistance
  106. Community Wish List
  107. Property enquiry
  108. Planning applicants
  109. Community asset transfer expression of interest
  110. Seniors Together
  111. Social work enquiries
  112. Rough sleeping
  113. Electrical Vehicle Charge point application
  114. Request for access to information (FOI)
  115. Adopted roads enquiry
  116. Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Fund and Alternative Fuel Payment Fund
  117. Education general enquiries
  118. Early years enquiries
  119. Civil ceremony booking enquiry
  120. Social Enterprise Grant
  121. Participatory budgeting
  122. Report an empty property
  123. Micro Business Support Grant
  124. Pass plus application
  125. Electric vehicle charging enquiry
  126. Education benefits enquiries
  127. Licensing complaint
  128. Consumer and environmental complaints
  129. Copy birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates
  130. Civil marriage, partnership and other ceremonies
  131. Self-build register
  132. Employment at elections
  133. Local Place Plan register
  134. Matchmaker buyer registration
  135. Matchmaker seller registration