General privacy notice
Using your personal information
We, South Lanarkshire Council, will use the information that you have provided to us in relation to managing all aspects of your employment contract with South Lanarkshire Council and to ensure that we comply with our legal obligations and to allow us to exercise our rights as your employer.
This will include:
- Making decisions about your employment and ensuring that the appropriate legal checks are carried out.
- Paying you correctly and providing you with pension benefits and ensuring that the appropriate pay deductions are made, such as tax, National Insurance.
- Conducting performance appraisal, and where appropriate managing your performance, and making decisions about your pay progression.
- Making amendments to your contract in relation to requests for flexible working, flexible retirement or career breaks.
- Ensuring that appropriate arrangements are made in relation to your annual leave entitlement.
- Ensuring that appropriate arrangements are made in relation to your entitlement to occupational and statutory maternity, paternity, adoption, parental and shared parental leave and pay.
- Ensuring that you meet your obligations in line with the Code of Conduct.
- Your training and development requirements.
- Preventing fraud, ascertaining compliance with our policies and procedures and to ensure protection of our intellectual property.
- Ensuring the security and appropriate business use of the council’s IT network and information.
- Providing you with access to employee benefits.
- Ensuring the effective operation and management of the flexi-time scheme and electronic booking system, where applicable
- Gathering evidence in the event of discipline, grievance, dignity at work issues such as investigations and hearings.
- Making arrangements for the termination of your employment.
We will also collect, store and use the following "special categories" of personal information including:
- Information about your absences due to sickness; such as the reason and duration of your absence and any support provided to assist your return to work will be collected, stored and used for monitoring and statistical purposes.
- Information that you have proved to us in relation to Equal Opportunities about your race, national identity, ethnicity, religion/beliefs, sexual orientation, gender, disability, marital status and caring responsibilities. This is to allow us to comply with our legal obligations regarding equal opportunities monitoring and for statistical purposes.
- Trade union membership, if applicable, in order to make the appropriate deductions from your pay in line with our employer obligations.
- Information about criminal convictions and offences in order that we can assess the impact of these on your ability to undertake the duties of your post in line with our legislative obligations.
Who will we share your information with?
We will share your information with third party agencies and service providers in relation to the activities detailed below. We require third parties to respect the security of your data and to treat it in accordance with the law and the provisions of agreed data sharing agreements. The following activities are carried out by third party service providers:
- Pension administration (Strathclyde Pension Fund Office and Scottish Public Pensions Agency) and
- As necessary to protect the council’s legitimate interests, other council departments, if you reside within South Lanarkshire, to ensure that obligatory payments due to the council such as Council Tax, are made in line with published requirements. The council’s legitimate interests are to ensure that its employees meet the standards of accountability and integrity, in relation to financial matters such as debt to the council.
We will also share your information with other public sector agencies or regulators where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, such as:
- Audit Scotland - to comply with statutory audit checks such as the National Fraud Initiative.
- The Pension Regulator- to comply with statutory checks.
- HMRC - to comply with statutory checks.
- Department of Work and Pensions - to comply with legislation in relation to benefit entitlements/claims you may have made.
- Appropriate regulatory bodies such as General Teaching Council for Scotland.
How long will we store your information:
The personal information we hold relating to your employment will be held confidentially in line with our retention schedules. At the end of the retention period the information will be confidentially destroyed. More information on retention periods is available by contacting by email at email@example.com or by telephone to 01698 454667 (option 1).
You have the right to ask us to
- confirm that we are using personal information about you, detail what that information, to whom we have disclosed your information and a copy of the information that we have about you (The right of access)
- correct any incorrect or misleading personal information that we have about you (The right to rectification)
- to delete or destroy your personal information (The right to erasure) and
- stop using your personal information until we can look into correcting your personal information or our justification for using your personal information or to stop us deleting your personal data where you need it in connection with any legal claims (the Right of Restriction) and
- pass your personal information to someone else
For more information on your rights and how to exercise them or for information about how we manage your personal information you can ask for a paper copy from the Data Protection Officer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or see our general privacy notice.
If you have any queries or are unhappy about the way that we use your personal information or have responded to you in relation to any of your rights, you can email email@example.com or by calling the personnel helpline on 01698 454667 (option 1).
- General privacy notice
- Adult and older people's services
- Anti-social behaviour
- Council employees bank mandate
- Blue Badges
- Bulk uplifts
- Business property enquiry
- Carer support
- Civica eStore
- Clothing grants/free school meals
- Comments and complaints
- Council invoices
- Crisis/Community Care Grants
- Customer Services
- Education Maintenance Allowance
- Equipment and adaptations
- Housing allocations
- Fostering and adoption
- Non-domestic rates
- Pass Plus
- Photography and filming permission
- Pupil registration and enrolment
- Recruitment criminal convictions check
- Recruitment health check
- School placing requests
- School transport
- SLLC employee bank mandate
- SLLC recruitment criminal convictions check
- SLLC recruitment health checks
- Social Work assessment
- Unpaid work
- Waste Services
- Council Tax/Council Tax reduction
- Housing benefit/Discretionary Housing Payments
- Non-Domestic rates
- Factoring and buildings insurance
- Change of details agent/landlord/solicitor/owner
- Council tenant change of name
- Common repairs
- Third party insurance claims
- Land and property
- Online rent account
- Tenant participation
- Permission to alter or sublet council property/operate a business
- Rent/factoring/lock-up Direct Debit
- Care of Gardens
- Bereavement Services
- Excellence in customer services
- Landlord forum
- Coronavirus Business Support Fund
- School hub application
- Planning pre-application enquiry
- Self-employed Hardship Fund
- Modern Apprenticeship Quarterly Review
- Coronavirus Business Support Fund - Tenant/Occupier Grant Fund
- Bed and Breakfast and Small Serviced Accommodation Provider Hardship Fund
- Early years exemption
- Debt/benefit advice enquiry
- Small Business Support Grant
- Town Centre Small Business PPE Grant
- Covid-19 business restrictions funds
- Kickstart Scheme
- Scottish Welfare fund
- Entering/leaving council facilities
- School registration
- Taxi and Private Hire Driver and Operator Support Fund
- Early Learning and Childcare application
- Access to free sanitary provision
- Annual HAVS Health Assessment Questionnaire
- Covid-19 Discretionary Fund
- Small Accommodation Providers paying Council Tax Fund
- UK Community Renewal Fund
- Community clean-up support
- Instrumental music tuition
- Community wellbeing helpline
- Scottish Milk and Healthy Snack Scheme
- Low Income Pandemic Payment
- Non-emergency housing repairs
- Planning enforcement
- Supported Care enquiry
- Climate Emergency and Resilience Grant
- Food Strategy Fund Grant
- Road and skip permits
- Book a visit to Carluke waste and recycling centre
- Criminal convictions - election polling staff
- Lived Experience Fund
- East Kilbride 75th anniversary grant application
- Platinum Jubilee Awards nomination
- Planning enquiries
- South Lanarkshire Works customer and employer enquiry
- Ideas letterbox
- South Lanarkshire heat project